Friday, July 19, 2013

Strategies that work for me to maintain abstinence at food events:


  • Bring my own food to an event. Consider bringing 3 dishes of my own.
  • Bring a beverage of my own too.
  • Arrive late to a gathering - after most of the eating finished
  • If I'm not feeling "spiritually fit," then stay home.  I can even leave early if I need to do so. 
  • Prepare and leave an abstinent snack at home and know that it's there for me when I return, abstinent, from the gathering
  • Practice saying no to food offers. "No, thanks." "I don't care for any today, thanks." "I'm allergic. [they make me fat]"    
  • If somehow food is pressed upon me to take home, I give myself permission to throw it in the trash on the way home. 
  • Ask my HP to relieve my food obsession
  • Commit or report my food to a sponsor or OA
  • Make a point to talk to at least 10 different people. Keeps me focused
  • on people rather than food.
  • When fixing a plate for myself, I grab portions of (hopefully) 3 of the dishes I brought, plus one other portion that comes from a food group out of nature. 
  • If my dishes are gone I resort to picking the simplest foods that are out of nature. If nothing is available, wait until I get home and drink lots of water or a non-guilt beverage. I can even leave early if I need to do so. 
  • Take my camera and take photos (if appropriate).

No comments:

Post a Comment